Butcher Block Bar Top – Among the topics of the kitchen renovation was that “we are thrilled” with the outcomes. I can not stress exactly how real this atmosphere is. We are not “thrilled” such as the guests in an HGTV fact show where they simply redid a space by placing live moss all around the walls, or such as the homeowners ‘ are if the guest designers simply spray painted a family room. Oh, we are really thrilled with that which our butcher block bar top today resembles given exactly what it began as (recall, green laminate butcher block bar top, poor appliances, etc.), and also in which it’s now.
All the “thrilled” said that does not mean we do not have views on the numerous elements of appliances, materials, and finishes we picked. Now I wish to have a couple of minutes to provide everybody my comments on our butcher block bar top out of IKEA, just if a person is thinking about using this for their particular purposes. Caution: I will be brutally honest. It does not mean we do not enjoy the item since we really do enjoy it.
However, I didn’t detect that a few things I wish I’d known entering the project.We started thinking about using IKEA countertops after viewing it at quite a couple of blogger jobs around the world wide web, and following a couple of commenters here and about our other social networking profiles indicated (ahem, insisted) we offer it a better glance at. When we started exploring, we had been enticed to the behemoth of delight from the excellent deals being provided on the site.
Walking in we had been of the mindset which we can pick up brand new counters for the entire kitchen for approximately $120. A particular choice was a closeout sale at only $60 per eight-foot section. But when we actually began to place our stuff list collectively, that cost immediately escalated. The affordable material was beech timber at the narrow cut of just 3/4″, however, we understood we’re curious about the thicker, more 1-1/2″ profile, and also the color of the costlier oak would appear far better in our kitchen. Rather than fresh counters for about $ 120.
We finished up using fresh counters for approximately $400. Although $400 had been a fantastic cost, it was not really as low as we had been expecting. We’d shop around in some different areas, like Lumber Liquidators, a mill that I enjoy in Ohio known as Baird Brothers, and a couple of regional retailers, however, all were substantially more costly. Because this job is finally a “temporary” option, we’re sticking with the less costly alternative, though it arrived with a little bit of compromise.
The closing minor annoyance with all the butcher block bar top substance which IKEA supplies must do with its structure. The borders of the butcher block are all completed using strong 1-1/2″ circles of walnut, plus they seem nice and strong (but for the gap we struck). But as soon as you get within the outer ring of timber and finish grain bits, the entire issue is merely laminated and finger jointed timber. Have a peek at this surplus cross-section which I cut from this perfect 1/3 of among those eight-foot parts of countertops.
It’s possible to observe the middle segment is occasionally even included in two thin bits on the very top and underside, and also one or two thick pieces of some decrease quality timber in the center. It is also possible to observe an important hole left by a knot. Fortunately, I did not wind up getting this on a border, however, had I run into that to the last cut, I’d have been pretty mad.
On the other hand, this structure makes the substance much less costly to fabricate (therefore the decreased costs) using less timber, reduced quality timber, and surplus wood in the building. Additionally, it may create the result more dimensionally stable because two bits are not as inclined to warp against every other. However, if the item is promoted as “could be trimmed, drilled, sanded” It must clearly outline this component of the building because it affects the setup. I left the cut on the ideal side of their maximum length of countertops not understanding this, and that I exposed that this mishmash of timber.
When I’d known about detail I’d have been in a position to generate a much better cut program which would have enabled me to situate the ideal end of this counter in the conclusion of the slice, using the good grain. Another significant issue with this structure is the chance of a hitting on a badly chosen surplus bit for lamination. This occurred to us and we did not realize that it was there before we’d constructed and put in the entire thing and started our complete sanding procedure.
Murphy’s law that the imperfection showed up front and center at the center of the longest item of counter high. Though many will not detect, the perfectionist in me stares at it each and every single day. It appears like a little slice of bamboo has been ruined and glue filled. After trimming, the epoxy/resin filling began to reveal. We have that white place to the best of this sink. AgainI had understood the possibility and noticed it I’d have summoned the bit about and that imperfection could have been concealed or cut from the last piece. This is from a different angle at which you can hardly detect it.